Moving Monday, Volunteer Tuesday

Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Monday was moving day.  When we made our reservations, our site was not available for the last four days of our visit so we reserved another site.  When leaving you are supposed to vacate your site by 11:00 am.  Monday morning, several times we either walked over or rode our bikes to our new site to see if it was vacant.  It was not.  After one pass by our new site, Max said, “You know it would be funny if that other RV is waiting for us to leave to go to our site.”  Anne did not think it was that funny.    At 11:00 Anne went to the office to pay the balance on the reservation and they asked if we were on the site yet and she told them no, we were waiting for the previous RV to leave.  The computer system couldn’t let us pay the balance and get our new car pass until the site was vacant.  Ok, we would just wait and return to the office later.  The next time we checked the couple was pulling out of the site.  We quickly went back to our site and moved the truck, bikes and FRED to our new site for the next 4 days.  As soon as FRED was parked, Anne returned to the office to pay our balance.  Another lady entered the office at the same time.  She was there to pay her balance – for our old site!  They had been waiting all morning for us to vacate our site.  They finally left the park to refill their propane tank, hoping we would be off their “new” site when they returned.  We just switched sites with another couple and both had been waiting for the other to move all morning.  The office said they just realized it a few minutes before we both arrived and they figured it was too late to tell us just to stay where we were. Oh well, we got our exercise, walking and biking between the sites all morning.   After setting everything up again, Max checked on the eagles again – not on the nest.  The rest of the day was spent relaxing.

Today was another Volunteer Tuesday and we returned to the primitive campsites to continue installing a wooden fence to keep the alligators out of the camp sites and to keep campers out of the alligators’ creek.  We made great progress today.  The fence is looking good.  There were 17 volunteers today, some from the community and some from the campground.  After spending the morning working, we hiked out to Lake Shelby and spotted one of the alligators in a canal.  It was a small one, about four feet long.   Nothing like those huge ones in the Everglades.  However, Anne is still thanking Santa for not giving us a tent this year.  A new GPS was the perfect gift. Two more days to enjoy Gulf State Park.

Praying for all of you who read our ramblings, that you stay safe, warm and healthy.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: