Drop-in Day

Friday, November3, 2017

Wow! Another busy day. Our temperatures have moderated and the humidity is up. The low last night was 58. The early morning was nice then starting about noon we had some intermittent very light showers and clouds the rest of the day.

We along with Ken and Joyce decided we didn’t want to leave MHCC with the Noble breakroom/bathroom repairs incomplete. The only thing left was the shoe mold in the three rooms and a little caulking and touch-up painting. We asked Randy yesterday if it would be okay for the four of us to return this morning to finish up. He was very glad we could and would want to finish it up for them. So about 8:15 we were back at Nobel. Joyce led the four of us in a devotion and then we got right to work. Today was not part of our NOMADS project. Today was considered drop-in work. Max and Anne had decided earlier in the week that if we didn’t get quite through we would return today to finish up. Then Joyce and Ken approached us and asked if it would be okay if they stayed and worked today. So, we teamed up and made short work of it. Ken and Joyce started installing shoe mold in the front room. Max started in the bathroom and Anne started touching up some caulking in the bath and then putting some paint on the nails in the shoe mold. While doing that she decided she just couldn’t leave the baseboards without fresh paint and did that as well.  We thought Tom and Evelyn were going to leave around 10:00 but they evidently awakened early and started packing up. We returned to the campground at 10:00 to say good bye to them and help Cheryl connect her car to the dolly and Tom and Evelyn were already gone. We hate so much missing seeing them off. Bobbi said they left between 8:30 and 9:00. We saw Cheryl off and then headed back to Noble to finish. By lunch we had a little painting left and the installation of the transition strips. We went back to the dining hall for one last lunch and visit with everyone. We completed all the work about 1:00, returned all the tools to the shop and headed back to the campground. We were all very pleased with the work.

Back at the campground Bobbi and Don were still packing up. We thought they might wait until tomorrow to leave but left about 3:00. We know that Cheryl made it home safely. We are still praying for Bobbi and Don as they make their way to Jacksonville, FL for their next project. We will miss all the dear friends from this project.

Vacuuming beetles from the skylight
Vacuuming beetles from the skylight

We don’t know if this is happening elsewhere but we are having an invasion of Japanese beetles. It started yesterday and today we are using the vacuum to suck up the beetles off the ceiling, cabinets etc. When you get them all from the back and go up front and then return to the bedroom there are more. Crazy. Hopefully we have most of them now but who knows what tomorrow will bring. They are all over the outside of the rig. YUK!

While eating lunch Joyce asked Randy about where he would eat around Cedartown on Friday night. He of couse said Zorbas but then mentioned Backwoods Steakhouse about 17 miles south toward Tallapoosa, GA. What a wonderful suggestion it was. The drive was so pretty. The trees have really changed their color in the past week. It is really looking like fall now. Gorgeous! When we arrived at the restaurant we were surprised that there was no sign. Google said we had arrived but….there were lots of cars so we just assumed we were were we wanted to be and went inside. It is a family owned local restaurant that is fantastic. We all had steak and it was one of the best steaks we have had at a restaurant. We generally don’t eat steak out because Max can cook a better one at home, but this was really good. It was a nice drive, good service, great food and wonderful company. A nice evening.

Filming a TV show in Cedartown
Filming a TV show in Cedartown

We then drove back into Cedartown to see what was happening in the TV filming in town. The Hap and Leonard television show is currently being filmed in downtown Cedartown. They had the town decorate for Christmas in August and have taken over most of main street for their show. Tonight they had the store fronts boarded up as for an approaching storm. Some had sandbags. We watched for a bit. It was pretty boring and decided it was time to return home and continue readying for travel tomorrow. We are glad Cedartown has this filming going on because the downtown area is so depressed with a lot of closed stores that the infusion of revenue has to be a big help to the community.

This has been a wonderful three weeks and we hope to return to MHCC again soon. Such a wonderful ministry here. Such an honor to have been a little part of helping improve these kids lives.

One thought on “Drop-in Day”

  1. Glad you were able to finish the job. I know it must be hard seeing friends leave. I know you’ probably see them again soon. Take care.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s