Louisiana and Alabama

Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Max: Today I went to Baton Rouge with Gary, the NOMADS Disaster Rebuild (DR) Coordinator, to talk to the Disaster Response Team for the Louisiana Conference about the Spring DR project that Anne and I will be starting there in March. The RV parking for the project will be at Francis Asbury UMC, a church that was flooded and asked for conference assistance to repair the church. In return for the assistance the small congregation agreed to give up part to the church to be converted into a volunteer and disaster response center.


After returning to Oak Grove I walked around the parking lot a few time since there are no sidewalks in this area.


Anne: With Max going to Baton Rouge with Gary to prepare for our spring DR, I planned to stay at the RV and do some cleaning, and then a little shopping with Sharon, Gary’s wife. We still need to pick up a few things for FRED and there are several stores not far from Oak Grove. I actually did have about an hour of quiet time puttering around FRED but then I received a text notification. I have really gotten to where I don’t like for my phone to make those noises. And when it’s family my stomach sort of ties in a knot. Last night I had talked to Mom and she wasn’t feeling well and was complaining of more shortness of breath with doing her therapy. The therapist was concerned when he was there late yesterday afternoon. I could tell Mom didn’t feel well and she actually sounded a little more short of breath than usual. I asked her to call the cardiologist this morning to see if she could move up her appointment for next month and I suggested she ask to be seen later this week and I would come take her. Mom did call but she got the appointment for today. That meant my brother who really doesn’t like to handle medical things had to take her. Well, wouldn’t you know, the cardiologist sent Mom from the office to the emergency room. So, one hour after Max left I received a somewhat panic stricken text telling me to please be in route to Tuscaloosa NOW. So much for my plans. Three and a half hours later I arrived at the emergency room and the ER doctor had just entered Mom’s room for the first time. It was a long afternoon. Don’t know why the cardiologist didn’t make Mom a direct admit so she didn’t have to go through all the ER waiting. Long story short, she has fluid in her lungs, causing low oxygen saturation and shortness of breath. She was admitted. I expect they may run some additional tests tomorrow and adjust her medications and hopefully discharge her Thursday. That would be what I pray will happen. As most of you have experienced, it just gets scary when they are 93. And maybe more scary when you know all that could happen. I much preferred to keep my really elderly patients out of the hospital because there are just too many things they can catch and too many things that can go wrong. Please keep us in your prayers. No pictures from me today. Mom would kill me if I posted a picture of her in the hospital gown.



One thought on “Louisiana and Alabama”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s