On The Road Again

Monday, September 11,2017

First, we have to start the day remembering September 11, 2001 and the horrible loss of life on that day. The terrorists attacks changed our country forever. We must never forget all those that lost their lives and their families. We must never become complacent.

This day started very early for us, again. (We are in need of a few sleep in, quiet mornings.) Anne was up at 4:30 and left at 5:30 for Tuscaloosa. Mama Ruby had an appointment at 8:45 with the orthopedic surgeon. He did not dismiss her as we had hoped. He said it had been 4 months and there was definite healing but it will take 6 months “at her age.” He did agree to continue the home therapy. Mama Ruby really likes her therapist and he has really helped her a lot. So, we will return in one month for another x-ray and recheck.

While Anne was in Tuscaloosa, Max was also up early preparing Fred to go back in for more repairs. This time it was to bay 25 – the cabinet guys. When we were returning from Lumberton we noticed that the backsplash behind the sink was no longer attached to the wall. That was one of the problems we took to our dealer. Big mistake!! The dealer did glue the backsplash into place. However, there was sealant/glue every where, all over the wall above the backsplash and the trim around the backsplash and the counter top. We were very disappointed. Not only did it look terrible, but it remained tacky to the touch and would have been nothing but a dust and grease magnet. That was one of the main reasons we went to Tiffin this time. When the cabinet tech first looked at it he really wasn’t sure what to do. He agreed with us that it had to be repaired but said we could not remove the glue from the wall. Anything we might use would damage the wall and make the situation worse. Anne was pretty upset over it all while trying to remain calm. Supervisors became involved and quickly let us know that it would be repaired but it was going to take some custom work. In the end, they removed the backsplash, got all the glue off of that, reinstalled with lots of the proper adhesive, polished everything and then made an addition to the backsplash that covers the wall where the glue couldn’t be removed. It’s different that it was before. We think it is fine but are still looking at it to decide if we want anything additional done.  Right now we still have two additional support pieces holding everything in place for 24 hours.  We will decide after we take those down.

Of course, this was also the day that the remnants of Hurricane Irma arrived in Alabama. We new this was coming and really wanted to head north and west as soon as possible. We really try to avoid driving Fred in high winds. When Anne left Tuscaloosa, the wind and rain had already started there. However she drove out of it shortly before arriving back in Red Bay. We were able to hook up the truck, say good bye to our new friends, and pull out of Red Bay about 12:30, just ahead of the winds. We did have some gusts but nothing that made us feel unsafe. We left Alabama, drove through Mississippi and Tennessee and tonight we are at the Hayti, Missouri, Welcome Center on I-55. Missouri allows you to spend the night at their rest areas so we decided to give it a try. A new experience for us. Hopefully it won’t be too noisy. We are really glad to be “On The Road Again”, but are very tired from all the running we have done the past few weeks. We will try to get some rest tonight because tomorrow we hope to drive on into Amana Colony, Iowa. We hear and read of many interesting things to do there and we want to get some sightseeing done before the meetings start.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s